GE offers multiple types of steam turbine platforms and a broad product portfolio that accommodates a wide range of applications—coal, nuclear, and biomass power plants and industries—as well as site and heat sink conditions.
A World Leader
We have supplied more than 30% of the world’s installed steam turbine capacity—totaling more than 930 GW of power production capability to date in operation.
For more than a century, we have consolidated the best available technology from numerous suppliers into core platforms that support our advanced, innovative, efficient, and reliable steam turbine solutions. GE boasts highly qualified and specialized engineering centers and factories in key markets around the world.
Continuous improvements to the water steam cycle are supported by our broad rear stage portfolio.
Our cutting-edge 3D blading platform helps enhance the load grade and customize the flow path for project-specific conditions and increased performance.
Contact GE Power to learn more about the efficiency of our steam turbines.
High Availability and Reliability
Advanced lifetime assessment procedures reduce maintenance and increase turbine availability.
Our long-term testing program validates material behavior and ensures steam turbine component reliability.
Enhanced Operational Flexibility
Advanced fracture mechanic methods provide reliable lifetime assessment of the steam turbine components and increased cycling capabilities.
An enhanced blade groove design reduces thermal stresses for increased rotor life.
Our steam turbines are also a vital part of GE's "Smarter. Cleaner. Steam Power." initiative.
GE has pioneered many core features that have become steam turbine standards.
We introduced our welded rotor technology in 1930. Since then, it’s stood the test of time with no ruptures reported in our large diameter rotors.
- Stress reduction during thermal transients for faster and more frequent load cycling capability
- Better access for ultra-sonic testing equipment, creating higher reliability
Shrink Ring Design
Our shrink ring design allows for a rotationally symmetric inner casing resulting in:
- Reduced distortions while maintaining clearances during operation—providing sustained higher efficiency
- A more compact design with smaller wall thicknesses for flexible load cycling and faster startup times
Single Bearing Design
Our multi-casing turbines have a single bearing between each turbine section for:
- Avoidance of load shifting for higher reliability
- Efficient shaft alignment for reduced construction time
- Shorter overall turbine shaft length for lower building costs
Innovative blading technology is apparent in our:
- Modern, three-dimensional profile design that results in higher efficiency
- High pressure (HP), intermediate pressure (IP), and low pressure (LP) front stage blades milled from a single forging for excellent mechanical integrity and higher reliability
To learn more about our core turbine features, Contact us today
A complete portfolio to meet your needs
The result of decades of development, GE’s various types of steam turbines cover a large spectrum of applications. These include: non-reheat platforms, reheat platforms coping with ultra-supercritical parameters, and nuclear steam turbine platforms. From 100 MW to over 1,900 MW, we have the solution for our customers’ needs.
For more information on which solution in our portfolio will fit your needs, reach out to GE here.